St Paul’s is unusual in never suffering the type of academic eclipse that has been a feature of so many other schools.
Colet made The Mercers’ Company trustees to the School, rather than the Church or Oxford or Cambridge, because he found less corruption among married men of business. Our link with the Mercers continues to this day.
Originally sited by St Paul’s Cathedral, the school moved four times before occupying its present, riverside site in 1968. It survived the Plague, the Great Fire of London and the Civil War, and in 1870 was one of only two day schools included by the Clarendon Commission as one of the ‘nine great public schools’ of England.