The most influential of all educational factors is the conversation in a child’s home.
The Parents’ Group was established in 1995 to foster a sense of community amongst parents in the School and this aim remains at the heart of the Group’s activities today. A variety of enjoyable social events are organised throughout the year, bringing boys, parents and staff together, whilst also raising money for charitable causes, school projects and the School’s bursary fund.
It is difficult to imagine a school with a more supportive and active Parents’ Group. We are hugely grateful for the investment of time and energy that volunteers give. Amongst the events that take place every year are:
- A supper for new parents in the Lower First and Upper First Year, hosted by ‘old hands’ in the Upper First and Lower Second Years;
- Coffee mornings for new parents;
- A Christmas Fayre at the end of November;
- A Quiz Night, keenly contested by members of staff;
- The Spring Fling Auction Dinner, which has raised large sums of money for the bursary fund;
- Our annual talent show, The SPJ Factor, one of the most joyous occasions of the school calendar;
- Refreshments and stalls at Sports Day;
- Year group parties.
In addition, the School hosts a number of evening events for parents, including: workshops on making friendships, adolescence, drugs, e-Safety and pastoral care; year group information evenings; and the Leavers’ Presentation and BBQ.